The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has disclosed that the newly appointed Director of the Department of the State Security Service, DSS, Lawal Daura is a card carrying member of the All Progressives Congress, APC, recruited to act out a script crafted by the APC.
In a press statement by the National Working Committee, NWC, of the PDP and signed by Acting National Chairman, Uche Secondus on Wednesday night, the party raised numerous issues questioning the partisan nature of the that shows the partisan nature of the new DSS Director.
The NWC noted Daura was a critical intelligence stakeholder of the APC who has used his office to terrorise those who worked in the Goodluck jonathan administration.
- “The NWC brings to the attention of President Muhammadu Buhari to some disturbing development in the polity which, if not nipped in the bud, might significantly affect our democracy and stability as a nation negatively, and that is the growing and unwarranted intrusion of some over-zealous security operatives on issues bordering purely on politics.
“We do hope that in his new job, the Director General of DSS is not mixing issues on the APC presidential candidate and the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, hence the need for Mr. President to rein him in as the development is capable of eroding the cherished independence of the judiciary and the electoral commission, a sine qua non for a virile democracy, which guarantees our unity and stability as a nation,” the PDP stated.
Daura’s appointment has been roundly decried as a ploy to intimidate and persecute those who oppose the Buhari administration.
Daura had laid siege on the private residence of the former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki in the Asokoro district of Abuja accusing him of “treasonable felony and plotting a coup to overthrow the current administration.”
The current SSS boss also laid hands on the Ex-Chief Security Officer, CSO, to Jonathan, Gordon Obuah, detaining him till reports of his death in custody led to his realease.
Obuah was allegedly held in connection with an ongoing investigation into illegal oil bunkering.
Daura was a Deputy Director Presidential Communication, Command and Control Centre at the Presidential Villa Abuja between 2003 and 2007.
He is accused of being in a position to pervert the justice at the ongoing election tribunals.
According to the PDP this intimidation seemed to line up with such sentiments.
- “We wish to draw the attention of the President to the continued intimidation, harassment as well as the hounding, arrest and detention of Electoral Officers and members of election tribunals by operatives of the DSS in Rivers, Akwa-Ibom and other PDP states.”
Earlier in the year, the National Publicity Secretary of PDP, Olisa Metuh had claimed the APC was mobilizing resources to arm-twist the judiciary against the will of the people.
- “We are aware of the clandestine moves by the APC to procure and compromise some stakeholders in the elections including INEC and security personnel to bear false witness and doctor electoral materials against the PDP at the tribunal.
“We know that the main aim behind APC’s desperation to take over these three states is their belief that they are strategic to the PDP and that taking them away will further weaken and undermine our party and accelerate the quest for a one-party state in our country.”
The NWC of the PDP followed this up with further comments on Wednesday.
- “We do hope that in his new job, the Director General of DSS is not mixing issues on the APC presidential candidate and the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, hence the need for Mr. President to rein him in as the development is capable of eroding the cherished independence of the judiciary and the electoral commission, a sine qua non for a virile democracy, which guarantees our unity and stability as a nation.”
Similarly, the PDP also called on Buhari to take a critical look at the issue of the appointment of Amina Zakari as Acting Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
It can be recalled that the PDP had for the umpteenth time rejected the appointment of Zakari as INEC chair.
At its 403rd NWC meeting of the PDP on Saturday, July 4, the party demanded for the removal of Zakari stressing that she (zakari) was Buhari’s blood relation.
- “Mrs. Zakari who has a strong relationship with President Muhammadu Buhari and a very prominent APC Northwest governor is collaborating with the ruling party to post Resident Electoral Commissioners of its choice to Kogi and Bayelsa ahead of the forthcoming governorship elections in those states,” Metuh had posited.
Giving credence to what Metuh had earlier said, the NWC maintained: “It is incontrovertible that Mrs. Zakari by virtue of her blood relationship with Mr. President cannot preside over the affairs of an Independent National Electoral Commission.
- “Nigeria belongs to all of us irrespective of political, religious and ethnic affiliation and as a responsible political party we shall not fold our hands and watch while our nation drifts along dangerous lines.”